|   GolfTracer  |   Club Buttons  |   Postcards  |   Scorecards  |   Bagtags  |   Medals  |   Patches  |  
  |  Ball Markers
  |   Miscellaneous  |  
"Royal Pines (Hotel) Golf Course"
"NJ-0357"

Royal Pines (Hotel) Golf Course
Image from the collection of John Sagi

Royal Pines (Hotel) Golf Course
Back of picture

Royal Pines (Hotel) Golf Course
Image submitted from the Collection of the
Berkley Township Historical Museum

Royal Pines (Hotel) Golf Course


Image submitted from the Collection of the
Berkley Township Historical Museum

The four images are from a brochure offer by the Royal Pines Hotel.
They have been cleaned and resized for viewing purposes.

Royal Pines (Hotel) Golf Course
Image submitted from the Collection of the
Berkley Township Historical Museum

Royal Pines (Hotel) Golf Course
Image submitted from the Collection of the
Berkley Township Historical Museum
Description

Royal Pines Hotel Course - NJ-0357 - Army officer named Lt. Edward Farrow began buying up woodland with the idea of building a retirement community for former Army and Navy officers.

Farrow built a railroad station, shops and even a resort hotel called The Pines with the idea of attracting people. But only 11 people ever built houses in what Farrow called "Barnegat Park," and eventually he went bankrupt.

In the 1920s Benjamin Sangor purchased the area. The New York and Miami developer imagined a vast and luxurious resort town catering to wealthy urban vacationers. Between 1928 and 1929, about 8,000 lots were sold in Pinewald, a "new-type, residential, recreational city-of-the sea-and-pines." It was to contain a golf course, recreation facilities, and estate homes.

The developers immediately began construction of the Pinewald pavilion and pier at the end of Butler Avenue. The Royal Pines Hotel, a $ 1.175 million investment facing Crystal Lake, was built on the site of an earlier hotel dating back to the days of Barnegat Park. It was the focal point of the new community. The hotel was also used as an asylum, then later a nursing home which changed ownerships. It's now the Crytal Lake Nursing & Rehabilitation center.

Mystery surrounds the former hotel. It was constructed by Russian architect W. Oltar-Jevsky in the early 1920s. Al Capone may have frequented its halls, perhaps even venturing beneath the lake in tunnels especially designed for smuggling alcohol during the Prohibition. One newspaper article interviewed an unidentified man who claimed that "in the early 1930s the then Royal Pines Hotel was frequented by society's elite who, for $1.90 a drink, consumed prohibition liquor under the watchful eye of men who had guns strapped under their coats."

In 1929, during the Great Depression, the resort community went bankrupt. Now, development is starting off slowly.

Information is from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Any and all images and information is welcome and appreciated to preserve the memory of this golf course.

Golf Club Award
Golf Club Bag Tag
Golf Club Button
Golf Club Logo Balls
Golf Club Patch
Club's Homepage
Golf Club Paper Items
Golf Club Pin, Brooch, etc.
Golf Club Plate, Dish, etc.
Golf Club Postcard
Golf Club Scorecard
Golf Club Medal, Trophy, etc.

Royal Pines (Hotel) Golf Course

Any additional information would be appreciated.

Please check back, there will be many interesting items to enjoy.

Your feedback is important to us. Golf Button Collection