|   GolfTracer  |   Club Buttons  |   Postcards  |   Scorecards  |   Bagtags  |   Medals  |   Patches  |  
  |  Ball Markers
  |   Miscellaneous  |  
"Castle Bromwich Golf Club"
"WARWS-036"

Castle Bromwich Golf Club
Image from the Collection of Dixon Pickup

Castle Bromwich Golf Club
Birmingham HM 1905 'A.M.'

Castle Bromwich Golf Club
Image submitted by John Sagi

Castle Bromwich Golf Club
30mm Birmingham HM 1917 'W.J.D.'
Description

Castle Bromwich Golf Club - WARWS-036 - The club was founded in 1898 as the Ward End Golf Club - WARWS-035, it moved a little further east in 1905 to land owned by the Earl of Bradford at his secondary country estate Castle Bromwich, the home of his eldest son Viscount Newport. In the late 1930s the then Earl was obliged to sell this estate to pay death duties. Eager to ensure the Club’s future he was able to secure land a little further east at Maxstoke Park. With the advent of World War II the completion of this move was postponed until 1946; after a short time the Club changed its name to Maxstoke Park Golf Club - WARWS-019. A fragment of the old course can still be identified, with the remainder built over.

My collection includes a trio of award buttons, all in hall-marked silver. The first (# 7) was issued in the Club’s first year at the new site (Birmingham 1905, back mark A.M), and shows the rather curious display of two trios of clubs bound with a double riband, with a tri-part scroll above bearing the club title. Diameter is 22mm. Precisely when this pattern was succeeded is unknown but that showing a male golfer at the finish of his swing with other devotees in the background (# 13) It is dated 1913, with a back mark of W.J.D. and measures 25mm. This was a fairly popular design in the Edwardian era. This button was won by PW Robinson a pupil at King Edward VI School, Birmingham. Enlisting in 1914 he was commissioned into the 1st/5th Battalion, The South Staffordshire Regiment c1915 and served on the Western Front for the remainder of the war. He died in South Africa c1980.

The ladies club, formed at the same time settled on a standard type, the design including clubs, balls and club title (# 430).
(22mm) Birmingham 1921 by T & S.
Courtesy of Dixon Pickup

Information is from an article in "The British Golf Collectors Society" written by Dixon Pickup.



Any additional images and information about the Castle Bromwich Golf Club is appreciated.

Golf Club Award
Golf Club Bag Tag
Golf Club Button
Golf Club Medal
Golf Club Patch
Club's Homepage
Golf Club Paper Items
Badges, Golf Club Pin, Brooch, etc.
Golf Club Plate, Dish, etc.
Golf Club Postcard
Golf Club Scorecard
Golf Club Trophy

Castle Bromwich Golf Club

Any additional information would be appreciated.

Please check back, there will be many interesting items to enjoy.

Your feedback is important to us. GolfTracer's Golf Course Museum