|   GolfTracer  |   Club Buttons  |   Postcards  |   Scorecards  |   Bagtags  |   Medals  |   Patches  |  
  |  Ball Markers
  |   Miscellaneous  |  
"Bexhill Golf Club"
"SUSSE-053"

Bexhill Golf Club
Postcard from A. B. C. Stores, Bexhill, posted in 1906.
Courtesy of Golfs Missing Links

Bexhill Golf Club
Image from the collection of Dixon Pickup

Bexhill Golf Club
Image from the collection of Steven Durrant
Description

Bexhill Golf Club - SUSSE-053 - On Saturday 7th February 1890 the inaugural club dinner was held at the club-room at the Sackville Hotel, Bexhill. There was a very elite assembly including; Viscount Cantelupe, chairman; Mr Robert Keep, founder of the club; Mr Hardwicke, club secretary; Colonel H Lane; C A Egerton; Lieut H L M Dunn; Captain Matthews; Dr Hunt; Dr Carter; Mr Penrose-Warren; E O Burbidge; Mr Sutherland- Graeme and many others.

Also in 1906 was the Bexhill Ladies Golf Club. The secretary was Miss A L Tyrrwhitt Drake, Bexhill-on-Sea. This was stated to be a 9 hole course although its not clear whether it was a separate course or if the ladies played over the main course. The professional was Douglas Rolland. The Ladies Amateur record was held by Miss A Wallis with a score of 35. Bexhill ladies club was also in existence in 1913 when the secretary was Miss Parsons, 111 Dorset Road, Bexhill. A membership of 127. Entry fees were 1/11/6 and subs 1/11/6.

Courtesy of Golfs Missing Links

According to the history of Bexhill the club was formed in 1880, though the report you have found concerning the inaugural dinner of 1890 would appear to be more conclusive. The course was sited on Galley Hill and mainly a cliff-top course, some of this site has fallen into the sea over the years and other parts are built over. Galley Hill lies just to the East of the town centre. The modern Sutton Place occupies some of it, a current photograph however still shows some open areas covered with gorse bushes and general walking areas.

Bexhill was nothing more than a fishing village until the owner of the whole area, the Earl de la Warr decided to develop it all as a holiday resort c1880 onward, this he did so very successfully, he (the 7th Earl) died in 1896 and the work was carried on by his eldest son (Viscount Cantelupe) who now became the 8th Earl. In World War 1 the hotels were used as convalescent hospitals for wounded troops. I think the old course went into decline during and just after WW1, as the new Highwoods (Bexhill) course opened in 1924/25. The local history states that the old site closed entirely in 1941. Many of the grand hotels were demolished following WW2 but the hotel where the dinner was held, 'The Sackville', (family name of the de la Warrs) still exists but as luxury apartments. The town never recovered its status as a resort but has become a fairly upmarket residential area.

Courtesy of Dixon Pickup

Any additional images and information about the Bexhill Golf Club is appreciated.

Golf Club Award
Golf Club Bag Tag
Golf Club Button
Golf Club Medal
Golf Club Patch
Club's Homepage
Golf Club Paper Items
Badges, Golf Club Pin, Brooch, etc.
Golf Club Plate, Dish, etc.
Golf Club Postcard
Golf Club Scorecard
Golf Club Trophy

Bexhill Golf Club

Any additional information would be appreciated.

Please check back, there will be many interesting items to enjoy.

Your feedback is important to us. GolfTracer's Golf Course Museum