"Wellington College Golf Club"
Button # 435
Image submitted by Dixon Pickup
Button # 435a
25mm 'Birmingham HM 1906 'V& S'
Wellington College Golf Club - SHROS-020 - The club was formed in 1905 at Crowthorne, Berks and
represents a rare instance of a school issuing button awards. A fine design in silver-gilt
enhanced with rich blue and crimson enamels, the ground behind the lion is deeply
recessed producing a very high relief effect. Backmark is given as Birmingham 1906 V& S and diameter is 25mm.
The lion is one of the charges on the Arms of the Wellesley
family (Dukes of Wellington). The famous first Duke was the sponsor of the college,
formed initially for the education of the sons of officers killed in battle. The College
crest is that of the Wellesleys combined with the motto Heroum Filii (Sons of heroes). The
boys presumably played over the East Berkshire course founded in 1904.
Information is from an article in "The British Golf Collectors Society" written by Dixon Pickup.
The club started as
Wellington College Golf Club - SHROS-020
in Shropshire. The course was
opened up to locals and by 1905
Wellington Golf Club - SHROS-021 was formed.
By 1907 it had found its own course, and in 1910 it relocated again
and was renamed
Wrekin Golf Club - SHROS-018,
which still exists today.
Any additional images and information about the Wellington College Golf Club is appreciated.
Golf Club Award
Golf Club Bag Tag
Golf Club Button
Golf Club Medal
Golf Club Patch
Golf Club Paper Items
Badges, Golf Club Pin, Brooch, etc.
Golf Club Plate, Dish, etc.
Golf Club Postcard
Golf Club Scorecard
Golf Club Trophy
Wellington College Golf Club
Any additional information
would be appreciated.
check back, there will be many interesting items to enjoy.
feedback is important to us. GolfTracer's Golf Course Museum