|   GolfTracer  |   Club Buttons  |   Postcards  |   Scorecards  |   Bagtags  |   Medals  |   Patches  |   Ball Markers  |   Miscellaneous  |  
"Flackwell Heath Golf Club"
"BUCKS-023"

Flackwell Heath Golf Club
Image from the Collection of Dixon Pickup

Flackwell Heath Golf Club
22.5mm HM Birmingham 1927 'L&S'
Description

Flackwell Heath Golf Club - BUCKS-023 - Founded in 1920, near High Wycombe, Bucks. This handsome silver award example is marked for Birmingham 1927 by L&S. The obverse displays a shield bearing a swan ducally gorged and chained with the club title in surround. Long ago the town of Buckingham and the county’s early military volunteers and yeomanry adopted this swan as the county badge, which remains to this day, the connection said to be with the once most powerful medieval de Stafford family. This family, originally de Toeni, were long Governors of Stafford Castle, whence the later name was adopted, and rose to be Earls and later Dukes of Buckingham. Their arms were quite simply, or, a chevron gules and their crest, out of a ducal coronet gules a swan’s head erect between two wings elevated argent. How the town and others magnified this crest into a complete swan is a mystery.

Information is from an article in "The British Golf Collectors Society" written by Dixon Pickup.

Any additional images and information about the Flackwell Heath Golf Club is appreciated.

Golf Club Award
Golf Club Bag Tag
Golf Club Button
Golf Club Medal
Golf Club Patch
Club's Homepage
Golf Club Paper Items
Badges, Golf Club Pin, Brooch, etc.
Golf Club Plate, Dish, etc.
Golf Club Postcard
Golf Club Scorecard
Golf Club Trophy

Flackwell Heath Golf Club

Any additional information would be appreciated.

Please check back, there will be many interesting items to enjoy.

Your feedback is important to us. GolfTracer's Golf Course Museum