|   GolfTracer  |   Club Buttons  |   Postcards  |   Scorecards  |   Bagtags  |   Medals  |   Patches  |   Ball Markers  |   Miscellaneous  |  
"Abbeydale Golf Club"
"YORKS-001"

Button # 304
Image from the Collection of Dixon Pickup

Button # 304a
Sheffield HM 1928 'C.D & S'

Button # 748
Image from the Collection of Martin Moseling

Button # 748a
9ct gold HM 1952

Button # 841
Image from the Collection of John Sagi

Button # 841a
HM Birmingham
Description

Abbeydale Golf Club - YORKS-001

Description

Abbeydale Golf Club
- YORKS-001 - A meeting of like minded local business and professional men held in the Devonshire Arms pub at Dore in July 1895 led to the formation of a new golf club in the area. It started life as the Dore Golf Club - YORKS-154 but would go on to be known as one of the most prestigious golf clubs in South Yorkshire, the Abbeydale Golf Club.

What almost certainly spurred on these local luminaries to establish a new course was the desire to find a closer place to play the popular sport of golf, which was becoming hugely popular with the ‘well to do’. Many of the founding members already played at Lindrick, a course which had itself only been played on for a couple of years. However, getting to Lindrick would generally require a train journey from Sheffield Victoria to Shireoaks and then continuing the journey by a horse drawn wagon. This trek was apparently made a little more bearable though the installation of a practice putting area in the waiting room at Shireoaks Station! What might surprise many readers is that the first home of Abbeydale Golf Club, or Dore Golf Club as it was first called, was laid out in fields at Ryecroft Farm, located as it is now, just off Dore Road, bordering Ecclesall Wood. This first course comprised of just nine holes with a par score of 34, the shortest hole being 158 yards and the longest was 365 yards. The dining room at the farm was used as a clubhouse and the annual subscription for the 61 members in that first year was one guinea. Golf was short lived at Ryecroft however and when in 1897 the newly married James and Henrietta Farnsworth took over the farm, they were determined to quickly restore the land to a more traditional purpose. There is now little if any trace that a golf course ever existed at Rycroft Farm.

Any additional images and information about the Abbeydale Golf Club is appreciated.

Golf Club Award
Golf Club Bag Tag
Golf Club Button
Golf Club Medal
Golf Club Patch
Club's Homepage
Golf Club Paper Items
Golf Club Pin, Brooch, etc.
Golf Club Plate, Dish, etc.
Golf Club Postcard
Golf Club Scorecard
Golf Club Trophy

Abbeydale Golf Club

Any additional information would be appreciated.

Please check back, there will be many interesting items to enjoy.

Your feedback is important to us. GolfTracer's Golf Course Museum