Button # 425
Image submitted by Dixon Pickup
Button # 425a
Wilmslow Golf Club - The Club was formed in 1889. The button had a fine and
large (25mm) gilt uniform-type design, within a raised and milled circle. The raised
design features clubs, balls and club title with a central charge, this being the crest of
the ancient families Newton and Pownall: A lionís gamb erect proper, holding a key or from
a chain reflexed or. This probably reflects the status of these families as former Lords of
the Manor. The back mark is simply Superior Quality, but it is known that this item was
made or finished by Messrs TB Wilkins, 52 Clement Street, Birmingham who closed
Information is from an article in "The British Golf Collectors Society" written by Dixon Pickup.
Wilmslow Golf Club
Buttons # 425
Any additional information
would be appreciated.
check back, there will be many interesting items to enjoy.
feedback is important to us. Golf Button Collection