Button # 426
Image submitted by Dixon Pickup
Button # 426a
Birm HM 1928 'Vaughtons' 'V&S'
Whitby Golf Club - The club was instituted in 1892 and based at Long Straggleton, on
the cliffs, north of Whitby, North Yorkshire. This is a lovely example of an award-type
button in silver and two enamels with a diameter of 22mm. The central shield is divided
party per saltire red and green and bears the charge of St Edward’s crown, which is part
of neither the unofficial or official Whitby arms. Provision is given for the winner’s
details on the ribbon and the exergue, which were sadly never entered. The reverse
is marked with Vaughtons B’ham and the assay cycle for Birmingham 1928. Vaughtons
were medallists, button makers, etc and made many of the award buttons – hereafter
shown as ‘V&S’.
Information is from an article in "The British Golf Collectors Society" written by Dixon Pickup.
Whitby Golf Club - 1
Buttons # 426
Any additional information
would be appreciated.
check back, there will be many interesting items to enjoy.
feedback is important to us. Golf Button Collection