West Herts Golf Club - This club was founded in 1890, the first nine holes (later to become
eighteen) being in the grounds of Bushey Hall. Problems between the Club and landlord
led to a move around 1896 to Cassiobury Park near Watford, the then seat of George
Devereux de Vere Capell, seventh Earl of Essex. The Earl, a keen player, was also President
of the Club. The flat silver gilt award example button displays a stag couchant within a large
capital G, all resting upon crossed clubs, the Club title in stylised capitals is interspersed
with mesh pattern balls. A furles scroll at the base is inscribed ‘Medal’. It is assayed for
London 1915 with the makers mark ‘WC’ (23mm).