Back
  The Collectors Website                                                    ( Back to Page 13)
 
"Wellington College Golf Club"

Button # 435
Image submitted by Dixon Pickup

Button # 435a
25mm 'Birmingham HM 1906 'V& S'
Description

Wellington College Golf Club - The club was formed in 1905 at Crowthorne, Berks and represents a rare instance of a school issuing button awards. A fine design in silver-gilt enhanced with rich blue and crimson enamels, the ground behind the lion is deeply recessed producing a very high relief effect. Backmark is given as Birmingham 1906 V& S and diameter is 25mm. The lion is one of the charges on the Arms of the Wellesley family (Dukes of Wellington). The famous first Duke was the sponsor of the college, formed initially for the education of the sons of officers killed in battle. The College crest is that of the Wellesleys combined with the motto Heroum Filii (Sons of heroes). The boys presumably played over the East Berkshire course founded in 1904.

Information is from an article in "The British Golf Collectors Society" written by Dixon Pickup.

Wellington College Golf Club

Buttons # 435

Any additional information would be appreciated.

Please check back, there will be many interesting items to enjoy.

Your feedback is important to us. Golf Button Collection