Back
  The Collectors Website                                                    ( Back to Page 7)
 
"Tooting Bec Golf Club"

Button # 243
Image submitted by a Private Collector

Button # 243a
Back
Description

Tooting Bec Golf Club - Instituted 1888. Originally a short 9 hole course on Tooting Common. In 1892 London County Council banned golf on the Common and the club moved to Furzedown Estate, property of Sir Charles Seely Bart, on lease for 21 years from Lady Day 1892. In June 1906 it moved again to an 18 hole course at South Lodge, East Side, Mitcham Common. Changed name in 1927 to South Lodge Golf Club. Latest mention 1933 . The land was built over with housing by 1937. Now exists as a club within Mitcham Golf Club. The Tooting Bec Cup was presented to the London professional golfers and played for at Tooting Bec. It is now presented to the highest UK-born finisher in the Open Championship.

Information submitted by Alan Jackson

Tooting Bec Golf Club

Button # 243

Any additional information would be appreciated.

Please check back, there will be many interesting items to enjoy.

Your feedback is important to us. Golf Button Collection