Back
  The Collectors Website                                                    ( Back to Page 10)
 
"The Derbyshire Golf Club"

Button # 320
Image submitted by Martin Moseling

Back of Button # 320a
Back of Button

Button # 483
Image submitted by Dixon Pickup

Back of Button # 483a
Silver no hall mark
Description

The Derbyshire Golf Club - The club was formed on the 12th of October, 1892 with nine holes on the Ogmaston Park Estate. It moved from there to Markeaton in 1898, a good eighteen holes course that the Golfing Annual described as ‘beautifully situated’. The land was needed for residential development and on the termination of the lease in 1935, the Club accepted an invitation to move to a course designed by Harry Colt at Allestree Park. However, in 1938, with the threat of war looming, the shareholders sold the property to Derby Borough Council. Following WW2 the course was re-opened as Allestree Park Municipal Golf Course, as is to this day. The flat silver award button shows the Club title and a shield bearing the unofficial armorial of the county, argent a rose gules regally crowned or. The crown depicted is the Imperial pattern introduced in 1877 when HM Queen Victoria was declared Empress of India. The button is 21mm and hallmarked for Birmingham 1937 by S.B&SLd.

Information is from an article in "The British Golf Collectors Society" written by Dixon Pickup.

Instituted 1892. Originally a 9 hole course on high ground in Osmaston Park one mile from Derby on the Ashbourne Road. In 1898 the club moved to land between Littleover and Mickleover. In 1907 the Markeaton club amalgamated with the Derbyshire and the course was extended to 12 holes. This was later extended to eighteen holes. In 1909, the club moved to land on the Humbleton Farm, on the Ashbourne Road and an 18hole course was laid out by Tom Williamson. With the lease on the Ashbourne land about to run out, an offer to move to Allestree Park was accepted by the club. H S Colt designed the new course, which opened on 31 May 1930. The Club disbanded in 1947.

Information submitted by Alan Jackson

The Derbyshire Golf Club

Buttons # 320 & # 483

Any additional information would be appreciated.

Please check back, there will be many interesting items to enjoy.

Your feedback is important to us. Golf Button Collection