Back
  The Collectors Website                                                    ( Back to Page 10)
 
"Scarborough Town Golf Club"

Button # 326
Image submitted by Dixon Pickup

Button # 326a
Silver no back marks
Description

Scarborough Town Golf Club - The club was founded in 1903 at Deepdale, to the south of the town, on the site of the present Scarborough South Cliff Golf Club. The flat unmarked silver award example has a raised design, the centre being occupied by a correctly displayed depiction of the Seal of the Town: Party per fess gules and barry wavy of six argent and azure, in chief issuant from the fess line a lymphad with sails furled and human heads in the bow and stern opposite a double watch tower and a further domed tower, a manís head and shoulders in the uppermost tower, in the centre chiefpoint an estoile or. A lined circle inscribed Scarborough Town Golf Club has crossed clubs at the base. The reverse is plain (21.5mm). The famous Ganton GC was formed in 1891 and began life as Scarborough Golf Club, with eighteen holes. Though nine miles distant from the town, the Ganton course was conveniently close to the main York/Scarborough railway line. Another nine-hole course was opened in 1905 at Peasholme Park, to the north of the town, moving to its present site in 1928, and changing its name to Scarborough North Cliff. The formation of the nine-hole course in 1905 was the signal for the original club to change its name to the Ganton Golf Club.

Information is from an article in "The British Golf Collectors Society" written by Dixon Pickup.

Scarborough Town Golf Club

Button # 326

Any additional information would be appreciated.

Please check back, there will be many interesting items to enjoy.

Your feedback is important to us. Golf Button Collection