Button # 457
Image submitted by Dixon Pickup
Button # 457a
21mm ‘JENNENS & Co LONDON’ (copper gilt)
Royal Winchester Golf Club - This club was formed in 1888, the original nine hole course
being at Morn Hill on the Winchester to Petersfield Road. The Club’s famous professional
JH Taylor designed and laid out the present eighteen-hole course near the Sarum Road,
Winchester. The ‘Royal’ prefix was gained following the membership of the Duke of
Connaught & Strathearn (third son of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert) in 1912. The
seal of approval was granted by HM King George V, a nephew of the Duke, not the elder
brother as stated on the otherwise excellent club’s historical web-site. The only brother of
the King to survive infancy was his elder brother Prince Albert Victor, Prince of Wales and
Duke of Clarence and Avondale who had died in 1892. The uniform button is flat 21mm in
copper gilt with superb shaded engraving. It is also a fine example of the quality gilding
process that disappeared with the advent of the Great War. St Edward’s crown occupies
the top angle with clubs and initials. The back mark is ‘Jennens & Co London’ plus the
Prince of Wales’s crest. This feature in use c1808-40 was revived in 1860.
Information is from an article in
"The British Golf Collectors Society" written by Dixon Pickup.
Royal Winchester Golf Club
Any additional information
would be appreciated.
check back, there will be many interesting items to enjoy.
feedback is important to us. Golf Button Collection