Manchester Golf Club - The club was formed in 1882 at Hopwood Cottage, Rochdale
Road, Middleton. This is a fine semi-convex open back silver award button of 24mm.
Upon a lined background and within an elegant title strap, the arms of the City: Gules,
three bendlets enhanced or, a chief argent, theron on waves of the sea a ship under sail proper.
These arms were granted in 1842, but had long been in unofficial use, appearing on the
buttons of the Royal Manchester Volunteer Infantry 1796-1801. On the reverse appears:
Vaughton Birmím and V & S, Birmingham 1917.