Back
  The Collectors Website                                                    ( Back to Page 13)
 
"Manchester Golf Club"

Button # 447
Image submitted by Dixon Pickup

Button # 447a
Birmingham HM 1917 'V&S'

Button # 562
Image submitted by Dixon Pickup

Button # 562a
Birmingham HM 1928 'JF'
Description

Manchester Golf Club - The club was formed in 1882 at Hopwood Cottage, Rochdale Road, Middleton. This is a fine semi-convex open back silver award button of 24mm. Upon a lined background and within an elegant title strap, the arms of the City: Gules, three bendlets enhanced or, a chief argent, theron on waves of the sea a ship under sail proper. These arms were granted in 1842, but had long been in unofficial use, appearing on the buttons of the Royal Manchester Volunteer Infantry 1796-1801. On the reverse appears: Vaughton Birmím and V & S, Birmingham 1917.

Information is from an article in "The British Golf Collectors Society" written by Dixon Pickup.

Back Marks
Dixon Pickup - 447a - Birmingham HM 1917 'V&S'
Dixon Pickup - 562a - Birmingham HM 1928 'JF'

Manchester Golf Club - 1

Buttons # 447

Any additional information would be appreciated.

Please check back, there will be many interesting items to enjoy.

Your feedback is important to us. Golf Button Collection