Button # 468
Back of Button # 468a
Harpenden Golf Club - This club was formed in 1894, the current address being Hammonds
End, Harpenden, Hertfordshire. The Club played over Harpenden Common until 1931
when the present course was opened, with an exhibition match. The participants were
George Randall, the new Club Professional, Abe Mitchell, Percy Alliss and Arthur Havers.
The match started splendidly as Havers holed his tee shot at the par three first hole. This
is an early award convex two-piece button by Vaughton & Sons, dated 1897. Within the
Club title a rococo shield bearing a further shield, charged with the county emblem, a hart
statant within a Ford. The position of the Hart varies but is usually statant or couchant. This
example is hallmarked on the side of the top section, suggesting that the back is only silver
Image submitted by Dixon Pickup
Information is from an article in
"The British Golf Collectors Society" written by Dixon Pickup.
Harpenden Golf Club
Buttons # 468
Any additional information
would be appreciated.
check back, there will be many interesting items to enjoy.
feedback is important to us. Golf Button Collection