Back
  The Collectors Website               ( Back to Page 14)     ( Back to Page 18)     ( Back to Alphabetical List)
 
"Buxton and High Peak"
"Golf Club"

Button # 482
Image submitted by Dixon Pickup

Back of Button # 482a
'G&H Bullivant' 'Birmingham'
Description

Buxton and High Peak Golf Club - (# 482) The club was founded in 1887 and is the second oldest extant club in Derbyshire. Located at Town End, Buxton, the course straddles the northbound A6. A very fine and large early gilt uniform example is shown (25.5mm). The flan is slightly convex and bears the central motif of a cow statant upon a torse. This latter term is not recognised in the ancient language of heraldry and probably alludes therefore to the common land meadows on which the course is located. Crossed clubs and a ball appear above the cow, and the full club title is given below on an elaborate scroll. The reverse is marked, G&H Bullivant Birmingham. The quality suggests an early date, c1887-1914.

Information is from an article in "The British Golf Collectors Society" written by Dixon Pickup.


Button # 596
Image submitted by Dixon Pickup

Button # 596a
'V&S' SILVER

Button # 596b
Silver no back marks
Description

Buxton and High Peak Golf Club - Artisans’ Section. (# 596) As with most artisan sections, play was over the parent club course with fairly standard restrictions. However the illustrated silver and enamel award button reflects a section that took matters seriously. The central motif shows crossed clubs three balls and a small cross pattee in the bottom angle, the enamelled scrolls providing a good ground for the Club details, B.H.P.G.C. in the upper and A.S. in the base. The item is flat 24mm and marked Silver and T.S. on the reverse.

Information is from an article in "The British Golf Collectors Society" written by Dixon Pickup.

Buxton and High Peak Golf Club

Any additional information would be appreciated.

Please check back, there will be many interesting items to enjoy.

Your feedback is important to us. Golf Button Collection