Back
  The Collectors Website               ( Back to Page 8)     ( Back to Alphabetical List)
 
"Aldeburgh Golf Club"

Button # 249
Image submitted by Dixon Pickup

Button # 249a
'FIRMIN & SONS Ld STRAND REGENT St'
Description


Aldeburgh Golf Club - This club was formed in 1884. This delightful course is situated on the Saxmundham Road just inland from the pretty Suffolk seaside town. The large copper gilt uniform example (24.5mm) has raised designs. Within a narrow burnished rim a title strap ‘Aldeburgh Golf Club’ encloses a device from the seal granted to the town in 1561: Azure, on water in base an ancient ship of three masts in full sail with a ladder fixed amidships, all proper, the mainsail charged with a lion rampant gules and the fore and aft sails and pennons each charged with a cross gules. In high relief the depiction is quite excellent with die-work and gilding of the highest quality. The reverse is marked, ‘Firmin & Sons Ld Warwick St Regent St’ (1880-1915).


Image submitted by Dixon Pickup

Information is from an article in "The British Golf Collectors Society" written by Dixon Pickup.

Aldeburgh Golf Club

Any additional information would be appreciated.

Please check back, there will be many interesting items to enjoy.

Your feedback is important to us. Golf Button Collection